Protect Your Home-Based Business, Your Home, and Yourself
The Law Office of E.C. Lewis, P.C. understands that owning a home-based business comes with a number of legal considerations. These concerns run from complying with local laws to adhering to any homeowners association regulations regarding the operation of a business out of your home if you live in an HOA. (For example, at the time of publication, the City of Aurora does not allow hair salons to be run out of houses.)
As a small business owner, you must also ensure that you have the necessary insurance policy or policies to cover you and any employees in the event of an accident or injury, especially if you have employees working out of your house. And, if you operate your Denver small business out of your house, it is extremely important to have the proper insurances to cover both your personal assets and your business assets – typically your personal homeowner’s insurance will not cover business property stored in your house. Consequently, it is important to seek business formation advice from a Denver business attorney and to find an attorney that can connect you with the best professionals out there to get you things your business will need like insurance.
How a Denver Business Attorney Can Help Your Home Business
The size, scope, and industry of your Denver small business will determine how much business formation advice you need. But here are some of the more common areas in which a company can benefit from attorney input.
- Choosing a business form. Whether you opt for your business to be a sole proprietorship, LLC, partnership, or corporation affects your legal responsibilities and possible liability, and may also impact how you are taxed.
- Creating a registered agent. The legal address of your entity is part of the public record. Consequently, you may want to create a registered agent with a different address or even have a different address for your business. A good business lawyer can give you options – especially since you are not suppose to use a P.O. box or similar type of address where there is not a real person connected to your business.
- Registering the business. In some cases, a company must be registered and have certain licenses and permits in order to conduct business.
- Crafting or reviewing contracts. The clarity and comprehensiveness of the written agreements between your company and employees, investors, vendors, etc. can be critical to the success of your business.
- Reviewing the legal aspects related to raising capital. While your business attorney is not in the financial services business, they can provide guidance on the legal requirements related to financing a home business or can refer you to a securities attorney if necessary to protect your interests and personal assets.
- Addressing multi-state business issues. The regulations affecting the operation of a business in one state may differ from that in another. So, it’s important to understand that the protections you have in your home state may not apply if you do business across state lines.
- Understanding and limiting your legal liability. How to protect your business, yourself, and your family is some of the most crucial business formation advice you will ever receive.
Elizabeth Lewis, MS, JD Is Your Denver Small Business Lawyer
Having the guidance of a skilled and experienced attorney can make the difference between seeing your home business grow and prosper, and instead being hampered by any number of legal issues that could have been prevented. And, that counsel can be helpful both as you form your business or if your company is already mature but facing new challenges.
If you are thinking about starting a home-based business, or already have one and want to find out if you would benefit from talking with a Denver small business lawyer, contact Elizabeth today to learn more about her services.
Multiple Ways to Serve You
The Law Office of E.C. Lewis, P.C. understands that not all business owners can take the time out of their busy schedules to come to an office, appointments are available by phone, online, and through video-conferencing for those individuals who are on the go. Contact the Law Office of E.C. Lewis, P.C. today to schedule an appointment!
We Are Centrally Located
Located in Cherry Creek, the Law Office of E.C. Lewis, P.C. offers clients the convenience of being in the center of the Denver Metro Area, without having to deal with the traffic of downtown Denver.
Whether your business is big or small, you have 20 employees or one, you are required to pay the right taxes at the right time. Understanding your tax obligations are an important part of your business formation. How you are structured and whom you employ will impact your taxes, and any mistakes or omissions will not go unnoticed by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) or the Colorado Department of Revenue (CDOR). A small business attorney can help you prevent liability issues, maximize your deductions, and represent you in the event of an audit or penalty. This post will cover five things every small business owner should know about business tax.read more
Contact Us Today
Law Office of E.C. Lewis, P.C.
Your Denver Business Attorney
3773 Cherry Creek North Drive, Suite 575
Denver, CO 80209
Sign Up For Our Email Newsletter
Privacy by SafeSubscribeSM