If you start a business by yourself and do not have any partners, in Colorado by default you have formed a sole proprietorship.  In many cases there are no specific documents needed to start the business.  However, depending on your situation there may be documents that are required.

  1. If you are operating under any name other than your own, you will need to register the trade name with the Colorado Secretary of State.
  2. Depending on what you are doing, you may be required to have special licenses through either the state, your local county, or your city.  For instance, if you are a plumber, you may be required to have a license in your city.
  3. If you have employees, you will be required to have unemployment insurance documents.
  4. If sell items, you will be required to have a sales tax license.
  5. Depending on the type of business, you may be required to have insurance.

If you have started a business, it is best to talk both your attorney and your accountant to make sure your business has the required documents, licenses, and tax forms completed to comply with all federal, state, county, and city laws governing your business.  If you have questions and need legal help, please feel free to call me, your Denver business attorney, at 720-258-6647, email me at elizabeth.lewis@eclewis.com or contact me through my contact form.