Effective June 1, 2012, the City of Aurora instituted a new tax on soft drinks and candy. The tax is 3.75% on all soft drinks (any drinks that contain natural or artificial sweeteners that are less than 50% juice) and candy (preparation of sugar, honey or other sweetener with items such as chocolate, fruit, and nuts that forms bars, drops, or pieces)

Businesses have a one month grace period to change their systems and start collecting the taxes. The first monthly tax return that needs to include software and candy taxes should be filed August 20, 2012 and the first quarterly tax return should be filed by October 20, 2012

Prepared food remains taxable in most cases. So if you have a restaurant, coffee shop, or bar that serves food, you still need to collect taxes on everything you sell.

If you have any questions, please contact me, your Denver Small Business Lawyer, at 720-258-6647, by email at Elizabeth.lewis@eclewis.com , or your CPA today!